How to Weather Life’s Storms
Staying Positive during Tough Times
You know the saying, when it rains, it pours. This month has felt like it’s been one bad thing after another. Friends losing their parents, and friends losing friends. Life cut too short. Unexpected and untimely. It is challenging and heartbreaking. Illnesses, death, cancer, and accidents unfortunately are part of life and can happen at any time. It’s especially hard when it happens in your family or to your friends that you love.
These storms in life come through really hard, and then they pass. But sometimes it can feel like it’s one storm after another and the rain and hard winds don’t stop.
After awhile though, they do stop and there is peace again.
How do you stay positive or get through these tough time, when all you feel like doing may be crying or crawling under your the covers and not come out ever again?
It is possible to go through these challenges of life with positivity. It is possible to cry, laugh and smile at the same time, and it is okay to do so.
Here are some tips on how to to stay positive during those difficult times:
- Realize you are in crisis mode right now. When you are in pain and hurting, you can’t be objective. So ask for support from family, friends, anyone who you have been there for in the past. Don’t be a martyr. It’s okay to ask for comfort and support now. For example, when people are hurting or mourning, they lose their appetite. Let your family and friends feed you, get you a plate to eat. You need your strength right now and eating is one way to get that. By getting rational advice from a loved one, you can clear out the confusion, heartache and hurt your are feeling. You need to lean on someone who can be strong for you right now so you can bounce back.
- Learn to re-frame the negativity. It is okay to feel your emotions and feel the hurt, but being able to quickly redirect your focus from the negative to the positive is the goal. Ask yourself, “What else is possible here?” That will guide you back into a more positive mindset.
- Practice radical acceptance. It is what it is and there is nothing you can do to change the situation. This takes practice, but you can accept things being the way they are even if you don’t agree with them or if they aren’t right.
- Practice gratitude. Each day write down three things you are grateful in a journal or notebook. Notice how many positive things you have in your life. By making this a daily ritual, when negative things happen, it will be easier to go into a more positive mode.
- Get out in nature. Take walks outside, or sit outside and look at the beauty in the trees, the water, the birds. Notice the smell of nature, how the sun feels and how beautiful everything is right here, right now.
Life is beautiful and life is hard, and this can happen at the same time. As the old saying is, time heals all wounds. But you don’t have to stay in negativity until time heals your pain. By being positive and focusing on what you can do to heal your heart or to make your situation better, and bounce back, weathering life’s storms can be easier. I love working with my clients to help them negotiate life’s challenges and come out stronger. If would like to contact me please call me at 561-203-9280.